Thursday, May 8, 2014

Day One

Hello All,

My name is Devin and I am currently a teacher candidate at National University, pursuing my single-subject credential in History/Social Science. I am a San Diego native and hold my Bachelor's in Political Science from San Diego State University. Following the completion of my undergrad degree I told myself that I was done with school and ready to enter the business world. Half a decade later I came to the conclusion that I really, truly, deeply did not enjoy the 'art' of sales and the sleepless nights that accompanied it. Far too much of the world is engrossed in how to get a dollar more from someone or how to squeeze that percentile of profit just a little further. Being a decent person and not trying to take advantage of everyone you meet can leave you on the back-burner career-wise and that just wasn't for me.

I came to the conclusion one night that the parts of the jobs that I did enjoy could be found outside of the world of business. Training my new hires, coworkers or even my boss on how things work, why things are the way they are and so forth was enjoyable and even exciting at times. I relished the opportunity to help those around me grow and succeed, even if I didn't enjoy the job itself. I think this was one of the largest factors that led me to consider teaching as a career. My personality tests somewhat support the decision:

I scored a 77% for ISTP:
If your closest personality type is ISTP then you have both a logical and a practical mind and therefore enjoy solving tangible problems. You are very interested in how things work, and may have a tendency to take things apart if you don't know how they work. You may also enjoy using your craftmanslike skills to fix things that are broken, or doing investigative work, collecting facts and clues to find out the truth of what has happened.

and a 76% for ISTJ:
If your closest personality type is ISTJ then you are interested in clarity and knowledge. You like to observe and listen, and have a particular interest in facts which help you to develop as clear a knowledge as possible. You like to know where you stand, e.g. having clear goals to which you are working, and to know that what you are expected to do is achievable. You value your experience, which serves as a strong guide to your decisions.

My personality type reflects in my choice of content area as much of History involves reflecting back on events, analyzing how they happened and dissecting the nitty-gritty details. Students can expect to gain a deeper understanding of the why as much as the how when it comes to my lessons.

My learning style survey shows that I am fairly balanced between active and reflective learning, I lean slightly towards sensing over intuitive learning, slightly towards visual over verbal and I am almost evenly split between sequential and global learning. My teaching style showed high marks in formal authority, personal model and delegator. As none of the surveys show a heavy skew towards one method or style over the other, it is my hope that this means I will be able to provide a well-rounded approach to teaching that will reach a broad number of students. This may be refined over time as I learn my style better but that is my hope, anyway.

I look forward to getting to know my fellow students in this class and growing my skills and knowledge as a teacher candidate.


No comments:

Post a Comment